What it is and how to do it
Principal Advisor Accessibility
Accessibility = A + ccessibilit + y = A + 11 + y
- What is a11y and who is it for?
- How do disabled people access the web?
- What's required?
- How to embed a11y in what you do
What is it?
A broad range of people use the web.
Percentage of people with disability, 2013
2013 Disability Survey, Statistics NZ
Affordable Braille display
But how do we accommodate this broad range of users?
Open Web Platform
World Wide Web Consortium
“The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”– Tim Berners-Lee
WCAG 2.1 Level-AA compliance
Web Accessibility Standard
It's worth noting that...
The NZ Government Web Standards are:
- Cabinet-mandated (since 2003!)
- In 2013, agencies were given another 4 years to comply
- A 5-year commitment of the 2018 Accessibility Charter
Persistent A11y Issues
From past self-assessments...
- Text alternatives for images
- Full keyboard access
- Proper heading structure
How do we ensure that...
A11y is considered from the outset and throughout a project?
In other words...
How can we embed a11y in an organisation's policies and procedures to ensure that it is addressed throughout the product's lifecycle?
ISO 30071-1 Code of Practice
Information technology — Development of user interface accessibility — Part 1: Code of practice for creating accessible ICT products and services
Steps to embedding a11y in your organisation
- Commitment and responsibility
- Ongoing support
Why is a11y important to your organisation?
Commitment and responsibility
Who is responsible for a11y in your org?
Who are your a11y champions?
- Executive level?
- Operational level?
Do you have an a11y programme/action plan?
If so, how is it funded?
How are a11y responsibilities distributed?
What a11y skills do you have in-house?
- What are their roles?
- Is their skill adequate?
How do staff increase their competence?
- Training courses? programme?
What skills do you need to outsource?
Where's the support when you need more help?
- External consultant?
- Retainer? Ad hoc?
What's your a11y support maintenance plan?
High-level a11y policy
- Lists your motivations for a11y
- Links to a11y mentions in other policies
Baseline a11y policy
Default degree of a11y that all products will aim for
- A11y requirements for tenders/RFP
- A11y terms in your standard contracts
- Style guide?
- Marketing and branding guidelines?
Monitoring, assurance, action, accountability
- Which products/services to monitor?
- What metrics will you use, and how often?
- Which products/services have priority for a11y fixes?
- What level of a11y is needed to go live?
- How will staff be held accountable for improving a11y?
A11y is difficult!
Integration is critical
- Organisational direction and purpose
- Management support and budget
- A team with a11y skills and access to experts
- Policies and processes that include a11y
- Ways to monitor a11y and react accordingly